Monday, November 21, 2005

The divine being

I sat back today on a real sleepy afternoon not knowing what to do. The film songs and the western musical appeared to fade away in pale insignificance. I wanted something different to recharge my batteries. A gloomy weather is no sign of an active mind. Lethargy grasped firmly in my mind, not allowing me to come out of its clasps. Then, I decided Why not listen to MS? By the way, I assume that everyone knows who MS is, because even a kid ought to know who she is. M S Subbulakshmi of course!!! A half an hour's worth of ethereal music transferred me to the highest echeleon of happiness and peace. Hanuman Chalisa, in praise of Lord Hanuman and Vishnu Sahasranamam, in praise of Lord Vishnu left me spellbound. That was divine incarnation singing. I can still recollect the face in my mind - the large kumkum on her forehead signifying the very embodiment of compassion and peace. She had captivated the billions of people around the world with that magical voice that could lighten your mood and gladden your heart. The only Indian to fill the corridors of the United Nations with her voice, she had achieved what one can only dream of in a lifetime. I don't know any other singer whose voice remained as good as that, even in the late eighties. Her death marked the end of an era, where she dominated right from start to end. It was domination even her competitors must have cherished. But then, who could compete with MS? Her sublime eternal voice fills every Indian household early in the morning to the enchanting Suprabhatam. MS, a once in a lifetime phenomenon, is not human art but divine grace perpetuated in her being.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... So you are pursuing two kinds of MS - MS in Electrical and MS oda-museeek...
    Kalakku!
    -Preetha

    ReplyDelete
  2. born legend she is. feel very divine while hearing 'Kurai ondurm illai marai moorthy kanna' song of hers.beautiful..the most touching song...changes my mind any where and any time...really amazing .Wonderful creation synchronized with the incredible voice of M.S.Subalakshmi.

    ReplyDelete