Temporarily Lost Forever

Image
Once, we walked to a friend’s door. Now, we hesitate to call. Two months ago, I called a friend I have known for twenty years. He didn’t answer. We still haven’t spoken. I don’t know why he hasn’t called back. But I know the hesitation myself: seeing an old friend’s name on the phone, wanting to talk, and somehow not feeling ready for what should be a simple conversation. I remember a time when visiting a friend meant going to his house without knowing whether he would be there. Mobile phones weren’t part of our lives, and even a landline wasn’t something every household had. You went, knocked, and found out. There was anticipation on the way, disappointment if he was absent, excitement if he was home. If you missed him, you might try again the next day. None of this felt like too much trouble. Now, the same friend is an instant message away. Yet we can go months without speaking. ...

The Legacy Beneath the Leaves

My first ever publication — a small step, but a meaningful one.

Many of us carry a quiet wish to do something meaningful with our hobbies. If you love cricket, you dream of playing in a local league. If you’re passionate about music, you imagine performing for a small crowd. Some people even try their hand at stand-up comedy just to feel that spark on stage.

When any of these milestones happen, it feels like a dream — not because you’ve “made it big,” but because you’ve taken one real step toward something you love. And in my book, that’s a gigantic step.

This week, I finally took my own step: I published my first Kindle Single.

For years, I kept sitting on ideas. I kept waiting for the “perfect” novel, the magical debut that would fetch stunning accolades. Instead, nothing moved. It was a classic case of kicking the pot in the dreams — forever imagining, never doing.

But the publishing world has changed. Shorter works are welcome, self-publishing is accessible, and with tools like ChatGPT, the barriers feel smaller. I didn’t have to hunt for a developmental editor, line editor, copy editor, proofreader, or writing coach. AI let me focus on emotions, storytelling, and the heart of the narrative instead of getting lost in ultra-fine details.

So I decided to plunge headfirst into the publishing world.
First publication. First-time author.
There’s a nice ring to it.

My short story is titled The Legacy Beneath the Leaves.
If you get the chance to read it, I’d love to hear what you think.

Amazon Links:

US Edition & India Edition

Comments