Temporarily Lost Forever
Once, we walked to a friend’s door. Now, we hesitate to call. Two months ago, I called a friend I have known for twenty years. He didn’t answer. We still haven’t spoken. I don’t know why he hasn’t called back. But I know the hesitation myself: seeing an old friend’s name on the phone, wanting to talk, and somehow not feeling ready for what should be a simple conversation. I remember a time when visiting a friend meant going to his house without knowing whether he would be there. Mobile phones weren’t part of our lives, and even a landline wasn’t something every household had. You went, knocked, and found out. There was anticipation on the way, disappointment if he was absent, excitement if he was home. If you missed him, you might try again the next day. None of this felt like too much trouble. Now, the same friend is an instant message away. Yet we can go months without speaking. ...
Looks like I have seen this...wait did I send this as thought of the day ? ;-)
ReplyDeleteman,
ReplyDeleteI had this poem in my eighth standard!! One of my alltime favourite poems...and the most inspiring..!! and maybe u sent it as thought for the day...i dont remember!!
I did not say I wrote it.
ReplyDeleteCmon...even i never meant that:-))
ReplyDeletea really inspiring one, especially for people like us who perpetually lack the motivation to do things.
ReplyDeleteAahaa.. That rings a bell. Rudyard Kipling oda poem-a eppovo school-la padichcha nyabagam..
ReplyDeleteIf...
ReplyDeleteYes a classic.. but then i remember reading in the 'LONDON' magazine of lit abt someone who got to india and heard a student reciting 'If'. The article went on to says something abt the value system of India as against the west. And about how the desirable values are changing the world over while India's sticking on..
Good or bad? Don't ask me..