Temporarily Lost Forever

Image
Once, we walked to a friend’s door. Now, we hesitate to call. Two months ago, I called a friend I have known for twenty years. He didn’t answer. We still haven’t spoken. I don’t know why he hasn’t called back. But I know the hesitation myself: seeing an old friend’s name on the phone, wanting to talk, and somehow not feeling ready for what should be a simple conversation. I remember a time when visiting a friend meant going to his house without knowing whether he would be there. Mobile phones weren’t part of our lives, and even a landline wasn’t something every household had. You went, knocked, and found out. There was anticipation on the way, disappointment if he was absent, excitement if he was home. If you missed him, you might try again the next day. None of this felt like too much trouble. Now, the same friend is an instant message away. Yet we can go months without speaking. ...

What not?

A lot of things I did this week(of course nothing to do with academics)! I went to Ohio for skiing, watched Munich at St Louis, read One night @ Call Center and saw a Telugu movie (Varsham) for the first time here in Rolla. After all, one can live in Rolla without English but Telugu is a must considering the wonderful Hyderabadi population here. Skiing was a lot of fun and if you love to fall, it is all the more fun. What else can I say after having fallen every other second! New Year's eve was pretty normal. According to me there is not much gloss attached to the event. After all, the next day is just another day, except for the year which changes. I still don't understand the excitement associated with the event. Does it in anyway change your lifestyle? We just live to see another day with hope! The wheels roll to reveal the same old scars in the uneven journey of life(Too poetic, eh?). Just reminds me. Long time since I penned a poem. Wait for one!

Comments